Stories

St. Peter’s church receives grant to restore stained glass windows

GENEVA — The New York Landmarks Conservancy has awarded St. Peter’s Episcopal Church a matching grant of $15,000 to help fund stained glass window restoration.

Dr. James Rankine, the first rector of St. Peter’s, worked with architect Dr. Richard Upjohn of New York City to build the red brownstone church. The cornerstone was laid May 13, 1868, at Genesee and Lewis streets. The square tower housing a set of bells was later erected in 1878.

The Rev. James Adams, current rector of St. Peter’s, has continued in the tradition of Rankine and in 1986 led the parish in a restoration of the church building. The goal was to restore the gothic architecture in accord with the original design.

« View all posts